If you want to change the game, GET a sense of urgency
With a sense of urgency, you will be invigorated, you will need less sleep, you will feel younger, you will become more attractive and most of all you will get what you want faster.
So here are a few tips on the subject with a really interesting, bottom line ending to the article.
So let’s start with the end!
This is the Bottom Line End Piece of this Article …
Here’s the kicker and the most important point: … You don’t need a deadline if you have a mission!
One of the greatest complaints I hear from executives and company owners about their people is regarding urgency. How do you create it, condition it into yourself, get it if you don’t have it and better yet how do you get others to get it if they don’t have it?
- Control the environment. You have to create a space that supports the urgency without abuse. Celebrating wins. Create games. Have Fun!
- Operate on a team where there is a lot of accountability to the group. To condition urgency, peer pressure and peer support are the fastest ways for everyone to get it. Remember it takes more than one to create synergy.
- Have a Code Of Honour that supports optimal performance. You are going to turn up the heat and you have to be sure that the rules are clear. The rules have to: – support the behaviour that supports the goal, – support the team, – and prevent people from bailing out
- Set the boundaries. Don’t give yourself or the others a lot of latitude to think or wander. Set the time frames, the requirements, the rules and even turn your projects into games that you can score.
- Make it competitive. By doing this, it allows everyone to benchmark their progress against others. You are able to see where you stand in the running at all times and know exactly what you need to do to improve.
- Set a deadline. This is the most important!! The closer the deadline, the higher the urgency. Set the goal line and make sure that everyone on your team knows it as well. Setting a deadline for yourself is no big deal, but if you have to answer to a group…that is a big deal. That is why the classic Monday morning sales meeting is so powerful. Everyone has to produce every week because they have to show their results to everyone else…every Monday!!
- Repeat and immerse in the project. Use these criteria in your training, your work and in every project that has importance and meaning to it. If you discipline yourself to operate in this kind of an environment for say…12 weeks… you will begin to rekindle that natural sense of urgency that you had as a kid when you set your mind on something. You will be invigorated, you will need less sleep, you will feel younger, you will become more attractive and most of all you will get what you want faster.
But here’s the kick and the most important point: …You don’t need a deadline if you have a mission!
Those who are truly on a mission, have a natural sense of urgency. They have something they see, feel and are passionate about what they want to manifest. Their frustration lies in the fact that their ideas, vision and expectations move faster than the reality around them. They are therefore always pushing. They are only sometimes impatient, but always have urgency.